Sleep is important for rest and restoration, repair and growth as well as learning and memory consolidation, directly impacting on the mental and physical development of children. Both duration and quality of sleep is important for optimal function.
Recommendations by age for sleep duration are as follows:
- Newborn 0-3 months: 14-17 hrs
- Infant 4-11 months: 12-15 hrs
- Toddler 1-2 years: 11-14 hrs
- Pre-school 3-5 years: 10-13 hrs
- School age 6-13 years : 9-11hrs
- Teen 14-17 years: 8-10 hrs
Quality of sleep may be impaired by coexisting medical conditions or sleep disorders. It is important to recognise and manage these in order to ensure good sleep for optimal function.